06 November 2009

From the Recovery Couch: part 1

I am a few days out from surgery now and the recovery process is going well.  I have carved out a spot on my moms couch, stocked her kitchen with my food, and arranged my things within my reach and am prepared to heal.

I am managing my pain really well so I am not on the narcotic painkillers (thank goodness).  I was really worried about how i would react to them.  the side effects: headaches, nausea, and constipation. PASS!  I have been having enough problems regulating my digestive tract...i don't need help.  So, instead of the narcotic pain meds i am on uber-ibuprofen...advil on steroids.  It is doing the trick without doing a number on my insides. 

I have learned quite a few things about my body and just how important the core muscles are to everyday life.  having an eight inch incision in my abdominal muscles has changed my perspective on the majority of mundane, daily activities. coughing, sneezing, using the bathroom, walking, blowing my nose.....all difficult.  laughing....nearly impossible.  Luckily, there are are some things that are getting easier.  walking, getting in and out of chairs, sitting up, and stairs used to take me a long time and required a lot of time, patience, and focus.  these things are, however, getting easier each time i do them.

Some other revelations, lessons, and epiphanies so far:
- Eating swedish fish with cotton mouth is realllllly hard.
- Snuggies are wonderful.
- the blanket that kept me "safe" as a young child is still comforting.
- taking a shower is the best way to start feeling better.
- "it hurts so good" is a lie

No comments: